Our story began on February 25, 1924. A large plot of land was sold by Rhonda Allen of Pennsylvania to A.F. Wyman and E.P. Green. From this purchase, a new organization was formed, the Palma Sola Investment Company. The purpose of the Business was “to improve land, buy, sell or lease. To plat, layout and construct golf courses, drains, etc.”
Donald Ross, a famous golf architect whose golf course designs have withstood the test of time, declared the land was ideal for the purpose of playing golf. He was hired to be the course designer. In the same period, “Arguing that Bradentown will always be a small town until the “w” is taken out, Bradentown’s residents voted to change the city’s name to Bradenton and adopt the nick-name “the Friendly City”.
During 1925, construction of the golf course and club house continued, and on October 31, 1927 an Application for Charter for the Bradentown Country Club was filed to change the club’s name to Bradenton Country Club (BCC).
Like many businesses at the time of the depression and war era, not too much changed; however, in the 1960’s through present day, a lot of enhancements happened:
1965/1966 the front and back 9 holes of the golf course were completely renovated
1967 Expanded the main Clubhouse
1973 Seven har-tru Tennis Courts were added
1986 Clubhouse renovated
1996 Added Men’s and Lady’s Cardrooms and Locker Rooms renovated
1996 Administration Wing added to Clubhouse
1999 A complete Fitness Facility was built
1999 Golf course renovation and new irrigation designed by Ron Garl.
2001 Added a restaurant to the pool area known today as our Palm Café
2004 A Brand- new Golf Pro Shop and Cart Barn were built and the Driving Range renovated
2004 The outside of the Clubhouse was remodeled and our covered Patio was added
2017 – Six Pickleball Courts were added
In 2018, we renovated our pool area to add private cabanas, new playground equipment, outdoor games, and a commercial super slide. We also completely renovated all 18 holes: with the help of our three-time Major Champion and five-time Ryder Cup Captain and member of BCC, Tony Jacklin. We redid all the greens, fairways, roughs, sand traps, tee boxes, driving range, and took the cart paths back to their original crushed limestone design. The course is slated to reopen October 26th with a large Fall Gala celebration scheduled the following day.
Thanks to one of our members, Mr. Jim Reschenberg’s research on the history of BCC, we discovered many things, but one stood out the most – BCC was founded in 1924 as Palma Sola Country Club. The meaning or literal translation is Solo Palm. We then dug a little deeper to find out the meaning behind Palma Sola Bay. It is a Lone Palm that guided boats down the Manatee River to the original settled town. We felt that with our 100-year anniversary around the corner, it was only fitting to embrace our own history in a logo with symbolic meaning.
BCC started with 13 original members and has grown to over 420 golf and/or social members., and we are proud to be part of a great community’s history.
Including a very busy social calendar of member events, BCC also offers non-members a place to purchase banquet areas for holiday parties, corporate events, weddings, and other celebrations.
BCC is accepting a limited number of new members, so stop in and take a look for yourself at all the beauty and the value you will experience at Bradenton Country Club.